Saturday, August 6, 2011

My favorite cake

If you were to ask me what my favorite cake was growing up and what it is even today, I would tell you it's a strawberry whipped cream cake. There's nothing like juicy deep red berries enveloped in a cloud of lightly sweetened whipped cream all atop a moist, delicious cake. When I found out that this month's Daring Baker challenge was a grown up version, I was game.

Jana of Cherry Tea Cakes was our July Daring Bakers' host and she challenges us to make Fresh Frasiers inspired by recipes written by Elisabeth M. Prueitt and Chad Robertson in the beautiful cookbook Tartine.

While I am sure there is a bit of bias in this next statement, this is my favorite version of my favorite cake. It may be partially due to the amount of labor and time put into making such deliciousness, but it was well worth the effort. A frasier is typically a French version of a strawberry whipped cream cake, but it could take on many different fruits and varieties. What makes it so special, is that the "bread" of the cake "sandwich" is a lemon chiffon cake that I kicked up a notch by moistening it with some lemon infused simple syrup. The filling is a stabilized whipped cream made with a vanilla bean pastry cream folded into whipped cream with a little gelatin. As it sets, it firms up a bit. Then, of course, strawberries (from one of our favorite organic farms in SB) add the extra burst of love. I mean, what's not to love?



If you want to take a bite into your own version of this yumminess, check out the amazing recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment